Views
11 months ago

City Matters 113

  • Text
  • Supplied
  • Estimated
  • Accommodation
  • Funded
  • Cycling
  • Audit
  • Grid
  • Harassment
  • January
  • December

Page 4 | 12 December

Page 4 | 12 December 2019 - 07 January 2020 city_matters CITYMATTERS.LONDON News Matters Reframe the Night campaign launched RESIDENTS, visitors and late-night businesses in the City of London and Hackney are being encouraged to “Reframe the Night” as part of a collaborative poster and social media campaign to prevent harassment on nights out during the festive season. The Reframe the Night campaign, led by the City of London Corporation, Hackney Council and Good Night Out, challenges some of the common myths about harassment in night-time spaces. The scheme sees posters displayed in pubs, clubs, bars, and cafés, promoting a safer and more inclusive night-time environment, and including information on how to report harassment and to seek support if you have been affected. Good Night Out, an independent organisation which works with bars, clubs and student unions to help them better understand and respond to sexual harassment in their venues, has developed the messaging - drawing from their extensive research and experience in tackling sexual harassment in night-time spaces. In one example, the messaging ensures the onus is on the perpetrator and tackles the damage culture of victim-blaming. Alongside the campaign, training has been funded through the Late-Night Levy to be delivered by Good Night Out Campaign. It will be offered to licensed venues signed up to the City Corporation’s Safety Thirst Scheme and will run in February 2020, raising awareness of how licensed venues should respond to sexual harassment, and ensuring victims receive appropriate care and support. “ISSUE PROBABLY OCCUPYING MOST AIRTIME TO FORCE” Audit report critical of custody suite delays “A HUGELY critical” audit found that an appraisal of a suitable site for a new specialist police custody suite and accommodation costing £30million to £45m failed to realise it did not meet strict government requirements and saw projected costs soar to £139m, writes Julia Gregory, Local Democracy Reporter. The hunt by the City of London Corporation and the police force for possible new sites in the City started back in 2012. They looked at using space at Guildhall Yard East, where the police force has a base, Walbrook Wharf and the police HQ at Wood Street. Investing It was estimated to cost £30m to £45m and would have been partly funded by selling off the former police hostel at Bernard Morgan House, Bishopsgate and Snow Hill. Other options included investing in the existing custody suites. Eventually by 2015 estimated costs soared to £139m before a decision was made to build a combined court and custody suite at Fleet Street. The police force is independently funded and regulated by the Home Office. The City of London’s performance and management committee of the Police Authority Board considered the saga at their meeting on Friday (Nov 15). Lay member Kenneth Ludlam said: “It’s been a major failure in project management so far and the corporation and police and could have wasted money all along the line. It seems to me that we need to keep the pressure on it.” Acting commander Dave Evans said the issue “is probably occupying most airtime to the force.” But he said the current custody accommodation was “not fit for purpose” External consultants were paid £43,000 to look at the options in 2012. Two years later a £2.4m contract was given to create a specialist design team to draw up designs for the options. However, an internal audit for the City of London Police and the Police Authority published this month, said “the City Police failed to provide robust challenge to the options pursued” in the police accommodation programme. It said a tender document drawn up in 2014 “failed to set of (sic) the City’s detailed requirements in relation to producing detailed designs for the police accommodation programme.” And the internal audit report highlighted a failure to take into account “the security requirements required for the accommodation.” It pointed out that the proposed sites “are on main thoroughfares which make them vulnerable to terrorist attacks and impossible to secure the perimeter.” The report said there was “no evidence that consideration was given to obvious security issues prior to committing resources to this option.” However, it said the City of London Police force had looked at the security issue “and did not consider that they posed a major obstacle”. But the report said that the proposed site at Walbrook Wharf in Upper Thames Street did not meet Home Office criteria which bans custody suites close to rivers or bridges “due to suicide”. The internal audit concluded that if more money was spent on “more robust feasibility studies” Walbrook Wharf would have been ruled out sooner. By 2015 the City Surveyor’s department drew up options for refurbishing Guildhall Yard East and building a new tower and filling in the courtyard at police HQ at Wood Street – a scheme which got the green light from councillors. Disposing It was estimated it was likely to cost £95m but would be partly funded by £65m from disposing of buildings. However the report said there was a problem at the Grade II listed Wood Street site, which did not have “the requisite bomb blast resistance in the event of a terror attack” which should have ruled it out. By October 2017 costs had increased to £139m – less £71m expected from selling assets. Finally a feasibility study was done for the new build at Fleet Street. This £278m project – less £97m for selling off police assets – sees the City and Police join forces with the Courts and Tribunals Service for a purpose built court and custody suites. Drug dealer caught with £10k of crystal meth behind bars A DEALER caught with over £10,000 worth of drugs commonly supplied for the purposes of chemsex, has been jailed. Dariusz Jakubik, 39, of Felixstowe Court, London (E16), pleaded guilty to 17 charges of drug possession, including with intent to supply, and one charge of possession of criminal property. He was sentenced to nine years in prison on 29 November at Blackfriars Crown Court. On 24 April 2017, Jakubik’s vehicle was stopped and searched by police in the City of London. A holdall bag was found on the rear passenger seat of the vehicle containing large quantities of class A, B and C drugs. This included MDMA, crystal meth, cocaine, ketamine and GBL. These drugs are often sold together for the purposes of chemsex. Also recovered from the holdall were diazepam tablets and Viagra, again, often supplied within the chemsex scene. Other drugs in Jakubik’s possession, which were prepared and packaged for onward supply, included cocaine, cannabis and speed. Drug experts have estimated the total street value of the drugs found in Jakubik’s vehicle to be up to £13,665. Jakubik was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a class A drugs and later released on bail. On 28 February 2019, while on bail, officers from the Metropolitan Police executed a search warrant at Jakubik’s home in Islington. A large quantity of class A, B and C drugs were found in the property alongside other drug paraphernalia. Officers also found a large amount of cash in Jakubik’s car. He was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply and taken into custody before being charged in March. An investigation also found Whatsapp messages on Jakubik’s phone offering to supply drugs and deliver them to addresses across London. Detective Oliver Gent, from the City of London Police, said: “The City of London Police will not tolerate the sale of drugs. Our officers will not hesitate to stop and search those acting suspiciously in the Square Mile to prevent such crimes from occurring. “The drugs that were being supplied by Jakubik are extremely dangerous and in some cases lethal. The public should feel reassured that such a large quantity of these drugs are now off our streets.”

© 2018 City Publishing Limited